Re: Preparing the Release / Freezing potato

Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> writes:

> Martin Schulze wrote:
> >  . Our boot-floppies are not ready yet.  Freezing the distribution
> >    without working boot-floppies will extend the freeze time which
> >    would be a very bad idea.  Adam di Carlo today told me that he
> >    doesn't believe that our boot-floppies will be read before
> >    January.  (Since I haven't been able to work on them I can't say
> >    anything about that.)
>
> We've already done successful (nfs!) installs with the potato boot floppies,
> though there are of course glitches.

Mssr Schultz misinterpreted my comments.  We *do* have working
boot-floppies now, although they are not yet feature complete.  There
are many critical features which aren't yet implemented (task
selection, automatic CD detection and apt's sources.list
configurator).  I think we can get a feature complete boot-floppies in
2-3 weeks.

> > Therefore I propose to postpone the freeze (and the release) for at
> > least two months, hoping to get the FHS issue, Incoming and
> > boot-floppies resolved.
>
> I would much rather go to a slushy freeze now and make it a more solid
> freeze when some of these issues have had time to be worked on more.
> Delaying the freeze is just going to let other issues develop.

Well, I don't know what slushy freeze means.

The question is whether you want a short freeze or a long freeze.  If
you want a short freeze, then we're kinda getting into hot water with
the whole christmas/new years vacation coming up.  Furthermore, as
pointed out, there are a number of issues which would prevent a freeze
now from being very successful.

However, tactically, maybe Richard is threatening to freeze in a week
or so just to motivate people to work on RC bugs.