Re: SONAME bumps (transitions) always via experimental

    Graham> Hi All
    Graham> On Fri, 6 Jan 2023 at 00:33, Bastian Blank <waldi@debian.org> wrote:

    Graham> Would it be a bad thing to require all uploads that need to
    Graham> go through NEW (source and binary) to target experimental?

    Graham> I have been doing this for my own, and sponsored, uploads
    Graham> for some years already.

Yes.  I think Simon and Paul covered this adequately.
The biggest concern is cases where something is already in experimental
and something comes up for the version in unstable.

The only problem with your message is *require*.
I think what Paul, Simon and apparently I are asking for is that
maintainers be able to explain why they are sending an upload that needs
to go through new to unstable in the changelog and have ftpmaster
consider whether their reason is good.

Also, I'm less convinced there's a good reason for source new uploads to
target experimental.
If it's a new package with entirely new binary packages, it shouldn't be
involved in any transitions.

So, I think what we're asking for is a change to process-new to flag
 binary-new not targeted at experimental and ask for confirmation that
 the justification in the changelog appears reasonable.