gem2deb status update

Hi,

I fixed a few minor things in gem2deb tonight. Current debian/TODO items
that should be fixed before we can make the switch:

1) native packages should ship everything in the same binary package,
not in 3 different packages.
then, dependencies (shlibs) should be hacked accordingly.

mail from Raphael Hertzog:
On Thu, 10 Mar 2011, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> What is the correct way to override what dpkg-shlibdeps detects?

Either you replace the dependency associated to the interpreters'
libraries by providing debian/shlibs.local (or any other file that you
indicate with -L) or you tell dpkg-shlibdeps to put the dependencies for
the .so files of interest in another variable like ${shlibs:Suggest}
(mixing -d and -e options as appropriate on the command line).

2) there should be a way to opt out ruby1.9.1 build (example of package
failing: termios)

There's also ruby-switcher. From a previous mail on his list:
> Note that we have two alternatives trees (one for ruby, one for gem).
> It's not convenient to have a single one with alternatives. I think
> that it would make sense to have a separate "ruby-switcher" tool, that
> would:
> - change all alternatives at the same time
> - ensure that needed native packages are installed
> Any takers?
(That is necessary because the ruby and gem alternatives are in
different packages)
However, that can probably wait.

Another thing that would be nice to see done, but could wait, is #448639
(gem installed to /usr/local) and #403407 (gem executables installed to
$PATH). Those need to be fixed both for 1.8 and 1.9.1.

- Lucas