Re: RFS: ruby-mail-gpg 0.2.6-1

* Jérémy Bobbio <lunar@debian.org> [160511 09:55]:
> For this reason, I think you should find a way to
> restore `debian/ruby-tests.rake` and make it work with gpg2 as gpg1 is
> likely to go away in some near future… Maybe this needs a fix in
> ruby-gpgme? Seems it's an old and unsolved issue:
> https://github.com/ueno/ruby-gpgme/issues/31

It needs a fix in gpg, see below.
In fact, ruby-gpgme as packaged in Debian leaves you no option to
use gpg1 today (in this context).

> Implementing only the required part of the agent protocol should be
> simple enough. It's documentation is available at:
> https://www.gnupg.org/documentation/manuals/gnupg/Agent-Protocol.html
> Then setting the `GPG_AGENT_INFO` variable to point at the custom agent
> should do the trick to feed gpg with the right passphrases.

Georg and me discussed this a bit on IRC; here are some thoughts
from me on that:

This is clearly a change in the functionality on the gpg side that
prevents automated use of gpg keys with passphrases.  (Someone
suggested this is an intentional change.)

Spawning an external program to output the passphrase to *work
around* that change in gpg is clearly not the way forward. If the
gpg authors believe this is a feature that should not be supported,
then I think we'll have to live with that.

Or talk to the gpg maintainers or gpg upstream if that's going to
change ...

(I'd see a tiny bit of value of removing passphrases from the test
keys, but I'm not sure that actually helps with the tests.)

--
 ,''`.  Christian Hofstaedtler <zeha@debian.org>
: :' :  Debian Developer