Re: Astronomy Debian packages.

On Tue, 17 Feb 2009, Francisco M. García Claramonte wrote:

I am reviewing the science-astronomy package, and I realize that
the package has a suggest relationship with spacechart.
Unfortunatelly, spacechart was removed form Debian archive because
it depends on libgnome-1.4, and this library was removed too.
So, I think that spacechart suggestion must be removed.

The blends-dev package which is used to build the metapackages
searches the list of available packages before inserting a
Recommends and decreases the Dependency to Suggests if it can
not be found.  This makes sense because even if the package is
not officially provided on Debian mirrors this package might
hang around in backports.org or other archives.  So it is in
the interest of the user to keep a suggest.  If spacechart
is just a broken program and should not be mentioned at all we
should really drop the dependency - but I do not know the reasons
about the removal.

On the other hand, I would like you to add a starplot [1] recomends
relationship, because I think it is a good astronomy program.
Is some reason why starplot isn't in dependency list?.

I have to check this.  It is added *now* to the tasks file and
just displayed at

   http://blends.alioth.debian.org/science/tasks/astronomy.html#starplot

so it will be in the next release of Debian Science metapackages.

I would like that you take a look at stardata-common package [2],
this is framework to manage stardata catalogues (gliese and yale [3][4])
with starplot (and spacechart) program.
The gliese and yale packages are in non-free, because problems with
licenses.

Just added stardata-common, gliese and yale to the tasks file - I
wonder whether stardata-common only deserves a "Suggests"?

Please, I would like you review my seggestions, and let me know your
opinion about that.

You review is *very* welcome!  Do you want to access the tasks files
which determine the metapackage dependencies directly yourself?

Many thanks for the review

        Andreas.
--
http://fam-tille.de