Linux LDAP problem

Hey,

I've got a slight problem,  at school we run two major networks, one half is
Novell Netware based, and the other half is unix based.  We basically one
centralized system of authentication, so that user don't have to remember two
different passwords to use either system.  We been trying to get linux to use
ldap to authenticate with the novell ldap server, and have had no luck.  We
know the novell ldap server is fine, however something seems fishy with the
linux side.  The problem is that when using the PAM_LDAP modules, is that
when a user tries to login, they are asked for a password twice, once the
normal password, and the second one being the ldap based password.  However,
even if you type in the correct passwords, LDAP says permission denied, or
authentication failed.  What makes it really odd is how at the same time the
novell netware server states it has seen the authenticated user, and even
gives it an OK to login.

Anyone have any clue as to how to make it work?  Are there any docs about
getting Netware+linux+ldap to work?   thanks for any info that you might pass
along.  have a nice day.

Sunny Dubey

PS:  We are fully aware that novell does create linux/bsd based PAM_LDAP
modules, the problem is that we are an education insititution .. and don't
have the biggest wallet in the world, hehe :^).