Re: 2.3.99-pre3 and potato on SPARCBook3

> On Wed, 5 Apr 2000, Phil Brutsche wrote:
>
> > A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far way, someone said...
> >
> > > Boots and runs dandy-rific. Seeing Tux with the sun on his belly brought
> > > tears to my eyes (no, really, it did). Haven't got X working but will play
> > > with that shortly. Debian installation as a whole was fine except for
> > > borkenness of serial console under 2.2.x (no matter how much you pretend,
> > > it's just not a vt100).
> >
> > Oh?  It seems to work fine for me on my IPX.
>
> The SPARCBook 3 is a SPARC-based laptop (similar in speed to an SS5); it
> doesn't have any of the standard SPARC framebuffers. It's got a Weitek
> P9100; 2.2.x kernels support the console only using the atrocious serial
> console mode (try booting your IPX with a sun4c, not a sun4cdm, debian
> kernel image to get an idea what this is like, since the sun4c image also
> doesn't use fbconsole).

That might be a bit hard, as I don't have a monitor or keyboard for my
Sun (trying to use the frame buffer, that is).

Specifically, what problems were you having with the serial console?  It
could have been something simple, like /dev/console being a symlink rather
than an actual character device.  Outside of it being a 80x24 screen, it's
been working beautifully for me with c-kermit as the 'client'.

> The 2.3 kernel, thanks to fine work by Derrick Brashear here at CMU,
> supports the Weitek in fbconsole, and runs X (unaccelerated for now).

It's that far along, now?  I had read that the video on a sparcbook was
problematic for Linux somehow (documentation most likely).

I guess the FAQ I read was a little out of date :)

> > > One problem: dhcp seems to have broken. Both pump and dhcpcd fail,
> > > although you can configure a static interface fine and it seems to work.
> >
> > Are you using the pump and dhcpcd from slink, or is this a potato system?
>
> Yeah, sorry, potato all the way. Thought i mentioned that but i seem to
> have left it out :)

Well, in that case, I'm out of ideas, except to try yet another DHCP
client (the package dhcp-client) with the old saying "third time's a
charm" in mind...

Phil Brutsche					pbrutsch@creighton.edu

universe. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein