Serial port support on IPX

Hi,

New to Debian and wondering if the serial ports on the IPX are supported?

/bin/dmesg reports the kernel serial module as failing to load, do I need
to recompile the kernel and select the correct module?

I know how to recompile the kernel however I have not performed this
operation on debian before, I hear debian has some special tools, I would
like to use the correct tools before messing with the system.

Any hints on where to look for documentation or what program to look for
under /usr/doc/ would be greatly appreciated?

N.B. the IPX did for a short time run RedHat, which is were my linux
knowledge comes from.

I am running slink r4 with 2.0 kernel.

Best Regards,

Peter Firmstone.