Re: Installation woes get worse

On Thu, Apr 06, 2000 at 06:58:46PM -0400, Ben Collins wrote:
> > How do I tell what I'm missing, here. The manual says that it should
> > install fine with two processors in the machine even though it will
> > only use one until I rebuild the kernel. I didn't have any problems
> > with less memory - whats causing the problem?
>
> do this at the PROM:
> printenv
> And look for the self-test memory. Does it match you actual memory? If
> not:
>
> setenv selftest-#megs 512

Well this helped me figure out what was going on. I kept taking things
out of the system, the second CPU, the disks, and RAM until I could
boot off the CDROM.  I didn't retry all the possiblities - but as far
as I can tell.

1. There is a problem running the install from the Slink CDROM with
more than 320MBs of RAM. That is the largest amount that I could
use. Maybe there is some problem with the kernel that boots up
initially.

2. Regardless of the amount of RAM, there needs to be memory in the
backmost memory slot. (Or as I now think of it - the one you need
empty to remove or put in the second CPU.)

--
Josh Kuperman
josh@saratoga.lib.ny.us