Upgrading Kernels was yRe: classic & sparc2 install reports

Oddly, when I went from Stable to Frozen in dselect I noticed that
there was an SMP kernel available. Whiz, that I am, I thought. Neat -
I can just run dselect, reboot, and I'll have a dual processor kernel
running. Apparently this is overly optimistic. deslect immediately
picked up some libc6 version conflicts, noting that I needed a more
recent kernel than I had while running deselect. dselect suggested
just getting one from kernel.org. Since I already had the package in
/var/cache/apt/archives I tried running "dpkg --install
kernel-image-2.2.14..SMP " and to its credit even thought the 2.2.14
kernel is installed in /boot with /boot/vmlinuz poining to it - it
still booted up the old 2.0.35 kernel.

Can anyone elaborate on the steps I might have overlooked? Should the
install and configuration software in dselect be adjusted for people
like me?

--
Josh Kuperman
josh@saratoga.lib.ny.us