procmeters et alia for SMP kernels

This isn't really Debian specific, but now that I have an SMP kernel
what software is available to monitor and test its performance. I'd
like to do the testing before I start setting it up as a production
server. Is there a two processor procmeter? Is there a web site with
various Spec-INT, whetstones, dhrystones, etc. How do I in fact now
that I'm actually using both processors. Except for the subjective
perception of "wow this machine rocks" and the results of uname -a, I
can't really tell anything.

uname -a gives the following.
 whirlaway 2.2.14 #1 SMP Wed Mar 29 23:25:56 EST 2000 sparc unknown

Also, is "apt-get dist-uprgrade" supposed to be the "right" way to
automatically upgrade a kernel, or is there a way to do it within
dselect.

--
Josh Kuperman
josh@saratoga.lib.ny.us