Re: Ultra 1: changing default X server

On Wed, Apr 19, 2000 at 06:35:53PM -0400, Chad Miller wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 19, 2000 at 06:09:29PM -0400, Brenda J. Butler wrote:
> > I've been getting a message on VT7 just before the
> > X server starts up (both Xsun and Xsun24):
> > eth0: Link has been forced up using internal transceiver
> >   at 10Mb/s, Half Duplex
>
> Huh.  That seems odd (to me, an ia32 and axp guy).  If were PCish
> hardware, I'd first think ``IRQ conflict on buggy driver.''
>
> Send us a 'dmesg', okeh?  (I can't ``fix'' it.  I'm just curious.)

Nope, there is nothing wrong with that message. It just means that the
network device has been put into action (physically). even if ifconfig
shows it's up, it really isn't up until the hardware is set. Starting X
causes the driver to do just that (since X does some network things).

As far as your change to get Xsun24 working, sounds like you did all you
need to. You can safely ignore the eth0 message.

Ben