Re: Whoops! Lost xdm and startx ability.

Hi there,

On Sun, 23 Apr 2000, John F. Davis wrote:

> Please help.  I'm at a loss as to what is happening.  My system is a sparcLX
> using the default video card.  The LX Video simm is also not installed.

Maybe the wrong XServer has been started...?

What type of video card does an LX have by default?
You get the type diplayed when the kernel (in text mode!) starts up... and
when you logged in, just type

	dmesg|less

and search for lines inidicatinng your type of video card.

For every color card, XSun or XSun24 should be the right thing, but if
you've a black and white card (like "bwtwo") you have to use XSunMono.

"X" (itself) may well be a link pointing to the matching type of
XServer binary, you can easily set it by hand.
(I don't know if this is what the Debian install scripts do, but who
cares.. *grin*)

Yours,
		Andi