Re: Strange events...

On Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 11:15:55AM +0200, Roberto Giorgetti wrote:
> I am a little worried about my system (Debian stable on ULTRA 5).
>
> I have been experiencing for about three months a corruption on file
> /var/lib/dpkg/available.

The only such corruption I have seen is on Blade 100 systems with ALi
IDE chipsets, it was a DMA problem.

First, I suggest doing a complete fsck from single user. Anytime you
have corruption, that should be the first thing you do (even before you
try to fix the corrupted files).

Second, try disabling DMA on the IDE disk, and see if that helps.

--
Debian     - http://www.debian.org/
Linux 1394 - http://www.linux1394.org/