Re: New install / loopback device

On Mon, Jun 12, 2000 at 09:32:05AM +0200, Rainer Dorsch wrote:
> I installed potato from a CD set from May 15th [...]

This bug should have been fixed since then, I think.

> that the problem was the missing loopback device. On an upgraded
> potato (rakete) system I found in /etc/init.d/network:
> ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
> route add -net 127.0.0.0

Some example commands:

# echo "iface lo inet loopback" >> /etc/network/interfaces
$ man 5 interfaces
$ man 8 ifup
# ifup lo
# ifdown lo
# /etc/init.d/networking start
# /etc/init.d/networking stop

See also /usr/share/doc/netbase/README.Debian, and possibly the release
notes too if they're about somewhere.

> but the new system has no network file. Interestingly the network file
> is not known on the upgraded system:
> rainer@rakete:~$ dpkg -S /etc/init.d/network
> dpkg: /etc/init.d/network not found.

/etc/init.d/network has never been known by dpkg, btw, it used
to be created by boot-floppies, and never touched after. Now it's
/etc/network/interfaces instead. See the manpages referenced above.

There was a bug in old boot-floppies that'd skip configuring the loopback
interface if you didn't have a real network connection. This should be fixed
with current boot-floppies / CD images.

HTH.

Cheers,
aj

I don't speak for anyone save myself. GPG encrypted mail preferred.

                                      -- Dave Clark