New install / loopback device

Hello,

I installed potato from a CD set from May 15th on a AMD K6/200
(desperato) yesterday (actually I forgot the CD 2 and had to install a
few packages from the (ISDN) network). Everything went smooth, except login
in from xdm (to KDE) was extremely slow. After a while, I found out
that the problem was the missing loopback device. On an upgraded
potato (rakete) system I found in /etc/init.d/network:

ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
route add -net 127.0.0.0

but the new system has no network file. Interestingly the network file
is not known on the upgraded system:

rainer@rakete:~$ dpkg -S /etc/init.d/network
dpkg: /etc/init.d/network not found.

At the end, I added the two lines from above in /etc/init.d/networking
in the newly installed system and everything worked.

But I am wondering now, where the loopback device should be
configured, when everything in the installation goes right.

Thank you.

--
Rainer Dorsch
Abt. Rechnerarchitektur  e-mail:rainer.dorsch@informatik.uni-stuttgart.de