Re: please help test debian frozen

    JH> Describe how you upgraded or installed.  If everything went
    JH> perfectly, say so; If there were some problems, do your best to
    JH> describe them, and any relevant information about your system.

I burned the Potato Test Cycle 2 images to CD and did a fresh install on
my home system on a new HD. Everything went smoothly for me with the
exception of the following little things:

(1) During the install, after I had selected the x-window-system tasks,
a program called "anXious" attempted to autodetect my video card (Matrox
MGA G200 AGP). That worked fine. I selected one of the generic profiles
for my monitor (monitor that can do 1280x1024@60Hz). Then I was asked to
select from a list of modes, one of which was 1280x960!! That should
have been 1280x1024.

(2) During bootup from the boot floppy created during installation,
there was an error/warning? message about the saved state of the serial
devices:

/dev/ttyS0 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
/dev/ttyS1 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
/dev/ttyS3 at 0x02e8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A

Saving state of serial module ready for module unload
... /etc/rcS.d/S30setserial: /var/run/setserial.conf: No such file or
directory

BTW, I currently have the same problem on my woody installation. Haven't
updated it in quite a while so I don't know if its been fixed.

(3) There was a problem with the mouse setup. I selected a PS/2 mouse
during the installation. However, when the X display manager (WDM in my
case) was started, the mouse wasn't working. I checked, and it seemed
that /dev/mouse was symlinked to sth like "/dev/gpmdata|..". I removed
that symlink and symlinked /dev/mouse to /dev/psaux and everything was
ok after that.

(4) The boot floppy that was created during the installation routine
takes over 7 minutes to boot the kernel. Don't know if other people have
experienced this as well, but I do remember having the same problem when
I installed slink about a year ago. On another install attempt from
these potato test CDs, I tried a fresh, unused floppy and had the same
result when I tried to boot the system from it.

On the contrary, the boot floppy that gets created when I am installing
a kernel image .deb takes less than 15secs. to start booting the kernel.

With the installation routine-created floppy, I see those little dots
one at a time very slowly and then after approx. 7 minutes, the kernel
starts booting.

I'd like to know why there is a such a difference between the 2 boot
floppies. My system is a Celeron 300A based system.

Other than these things that I mentioned above, the potato install
seemed to go very well. My system is:

Celeron 300A
128 Mb RAM
Matrox Millennium G200 AGP w/ 8Mb RAM
SoundBlaster PCI128 sound card
Quantum 10.2 Gb UDMA33 HD
Maxtor 15.3 Gb UDMA66 HD

--
Salman Ahmed
ssahmed AT pathcom DOT com

http://www.pathcom.com/~ssahmed
GnuPG Key fingerprint = A6DB 6C85 DE5A 33BB E873  E437 58B2 09CD 977B 900B