tar --exclude works with Mandrake but not potato

Hello, all,

Some may remember my post about this a short while back.  My apologies for
the redundancy, and for the posts to 2 different lists if that's
inappropriate.  I still don't have a resolution to my situation and am
curious where to go from here.

My potato server (ftp/www/mail.mattyt.net) is running potato in one big
partition (except for /home/ftp/pub).  The easiest way for me to do
periodic backups is to create one big tarball of the whole installation.
The way I always did this before was to log in as root, cd to /, and
execute a command such as this:

# tar --same-owner -czpvf /home/ftp/pub/backups/main.tgz --exclude=proc/*
--exclude=tmp/* --exclude=home/ftp/pub/* *

This would create a tarball in my ftp space, without including any of the
dynamic/garbage info in /proc or in /tmp.  It also wouldn't include all
the various files in /home/ftp/pub, especially the newly created tarball
image.  It *would*, however, include the empty directories themselves.

My problem is that the --exclude command no longer works the way it used
to.  This is my current version of tar:

doma:/# tar --version
tar (GNU tar) 1.13.17
This program comes with NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
You may redistribute it under the terms of the GNU General Public License;
see the file named COPYING for details.
Written by John Gilmore and Jay Fenlason.

When I used to use --exclude, it would include the /proc, /tmp, etc.
directories, but not their contents.  This meant that if my system crashed
(or whatever), restoring was a fairly trivial process.  Now, however, when
I issue the above mentioned lengthy tar command, it goes ahead and
includes all the files in the directories I have told it to exclude.

The most interesting part of all this, to me at least, is that the same
version of tar under Linux Mandrake 7.1:

[root@igra /]# tar --version
tar (GNU tar) 1.13.17
This program comes with NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
You may redistribute it under the terms of the GNU General Public License;
see the file named COPYING for details.
Written by John Gilmore and Jay Fenlason.

...still operates the way I remember it.  I use Mandrake for my desktop
machine as it auto-configures lots of stuff like my VooDoo 2 card and also
has a much more complete KDE installation.  I use Debian as my server
because it is much easier to use dselect to install a lean server with
only the packages I need (no X, etc.), plus I'm sure the default security
is better under Debian.  I *really* don't want to use Mandrake for my
server, especially for the want of one argument for one program.

The short version:  tar --exclude v1.13.17 under Mandrake 7.1 works the
way it always has, tar --exclude v1.13.17 under potato doesn't.

I'm kind of pulling out my hair here, guys (especially since I start a new
Network Admin position next week).  Any help you can give to resolve this
somewhat bizarre issue would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks :)

Matthew Thompson       http://mattyt.net
mattyt@oz.net          http://www.oz.net/~mattyt
--Someday, I'll have a web page.--