Re: Booting of PPC Installation on PowerPC/Mac impossible?

Rainer Dorsch <rainer@rai16.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de> writes:

> > > Because not everyone wants to keep MacOS around, I assume.
> >
> > Sure, I'm one of those people.  But if it's between not having macos
> > around or not using the machine at all?
>
> I just wanted to recycle a mac we have here. Having in mind how easy it is to
> install debian on i386 and sparc, I wanted to avoid the effort to run MacOS (I
> never installed it and I never used it). If I would have an MacOS expert
> around, I probably wouldn't mind.

I understand.  Gotta do it the hard way, then 8-)

> > Many of you will remember that bootx was a great step forward when it
> > came out because it eliminated *exactly these problems* that the
> > original poster is having.  But then, he's probably already lost
> > interest in the discussion and waiting for his pc to arrive....
> >

> Guillaume didn't stop sending comments. The current state is that the 9500 can
> read the quik bootstrap information from the HD but does not find a suitable
> kernel:

[...]

> > Thats cool ! it means that the 9500 can correctly read the quik
> > bootstrap information from the hd, since it must reset the
> > computer to give linux the ability to take over(it has something
> > to do with the init of the scsi busses I believe).  Each time you
> > reset the PRAM, you reset the 9500 to "macos mode", quik makes it
> > return its into "linux mode", resets it and then hangs.  So we
> > narrowed the problem to this: your quik cannot fnd a suitable
> > kernel, check quik.conf and the state of the system installed !

What's your `boot-file' setting in OF?  Mine looks like " 2/vmlinux",
where the space in front of the 2 is required, 2 refers to the
partition that holds the kernel, and vmlinux (not vmlinuz, as I think
you've already discovered) is a symlink to my kernel.  Also, I seem to
recall that some version of quik didn't follow symlinks (though this
may be a red herring), so you might try using the full path to your
kernel.

Best wishes,

cbb