Re: Uploaded boot-floppies 2.2.4 (source all) to master

On 3 Jan 2000, Adam Di Carlo wrote:

> Brandon Mitchell <bmitch@surfree.com> writes:
>
> >    What can the testing group do that would be the most beneficial to the
> > boot floppy group at this time?  Should we be testing that the kernel
> > boots and detects hardware, or that the base system works properly under a
> > chroot environment, or is it time to start doing complete installations?
> > I assume any problems should be reported through the BTS.
>
> Complete installations.  Especially the new 'net-fetch' installation
> technique.  Ignore the 'network' installation technique, that
> shouldn't be in there I think.

Ok, let's see what I can do.

> We are going to give a complete facelift to the post-reboot
> configuration, but dbootstrap itself should be more or less
> functional.  Obviously, there are still critical problems in modconf.

Yes, several modprobe errors on bootup about
/lib/modules/2.2.13/modules.dep.

> I can also confirm that PCMCIA installation seems to be broken.

Can't test it anyway right now anyway.

> However, the new dbootstrap/libfdisk makes it so that IDE and SCSI disks
> and cd-roms are automatically detected.  I would very much like to know
> that that support is functional.  In particular, I'm curious if
> non-ATAPI CD-ROMS are support properly.

Well, it's detecting the simple ide only setup without any problems.

I've done a pretty straight forward install:
/dev/hda3 == /
/dev/hda1 == /boot
/dev/hda2 == swap

I had to load the drivers disks by floppy since the network can't be
configured until later.  On my first try, there was an error about no
memory when running "ifconfig eth0 10.0.0.1", this didn't occur the second
attempt, but I may have gone in a different order on things (didn't
attempt netfetch for drivers, ran ifconfig before configuring network,
etc).  The ethernet card is a realtek 8139.

Netfetch for base2_2.tgz worked fine.  There are too many error messages
if you mis-type the url IMHO.

On reboot, it reports that /dev/hda3 was not cleanly unmounted.  I believe
I saw a locale error but the screen was overwritten.  I'd prefer if lots
of newlines are used before redrawing the screen so I can scroll up to see
any errors.  Change the "I will remove it now" to "I can remove it now"
for the PCMCIA prompt (sorry to be picky).

The debian task installer comes up empty because I don't have a network
connection to the rest of the world.  Maybe it should prompt for setting
up ppp if it can't resolve/connect to certain hosts.  Also, it may be a
good idea to offer to use a cdrom here.

That's about as far as I can go today before I need to setup a ppp
connection for this 14.4.  I don't think the benifit of testing the
ability to download packages is worth it here.  I'll take these floppies
into work and try to setup a netfinity box that no one has the time to
install the os on (evil grin).  That should get you some better hardware
(scsi raid is your only hd drive).  I'll also have the network connection
to test the rest of the install.  When things seem to be ready, I'll
backup my laptop and give the pcmcia install a stress test.

Overall, it's an improvement from 2.1, keep up the good work,
Brandon

    Brandon Mitchell  *  http://public.surfree.com/bmitch
  bmitch@surfree.com  *  ICQ: 30631197