Re: Ready to build for i686, but am a little confused

Bertram Bourdrez wrote:

On Sun, Jan 13, 2002 at 01:43:02AM -0500, Andrew Hurt wrote:

Greetings.

Trying to optimize things for i686, and have assumed I should start
with gcc(?).

I guess it would be easier to instruct the Debian-supplied gcc to compile
for i686 by using the -march=i686 flag. If you're compiling Debian sources
you could alter dkpg-architecture to spit out i686 instead of i386, and if
you're compiling anything else from source you might want to try editing the
Makefile's CFLAGS macro to say -march=i686 in addition to what's already in
there.

Is good. I have played with some of these, but my 'play' was not organized enough to track my mistakes properly.

Will try some more (though I am weary about modifying dpkg-architecture).

Thanks!

ah