loopback interface dead

Hi!  Use Debian unstable.  The breakins into Debian servers prompted
me (alas) to improve security on my systems.  Installed bastille but
it said it only harmonizes with stable.  So I used

apt-get --purge remove bastille

to get rid of bastille.  However, bastille had changed some config
files and the result is that my Debian system has become unuable
because the loopback interface lo is dead.  No ping arrives, nada.
Occasionally I get a message saying only one address may be defined
per interface but I cannot find the correct config files to fix this.

Help most welcome.

Lux
--
If you receive this by error, please delete it and inform the sender.
Key fingerprint: 8994 CFDD 9C60 C978 A488 689F 5DCC EFC4 4D36 580D