login problems

Hey guys!
I'm running debian-unstable on my Toshiba Satellite 1400-503 which is
supported pretty well. Until recently I've had no problems but all of a
sudden, maybe after the installation of a certain package (don't know
which, though) when I try to log in with my normal user I get "System
bootup in progress - please wait" But it's simply not true because
everything loaded just fine. I get this messages both as a normal user
and as root, but with root I am able to override it, as a normal user it
prevents me from logging in. This happens on console and with gdm etc.
Once logged in as root, everything is working fine. So, does anybody
know how to track the problem down?
Thx in advance,
florian