isdn recognition in kernel 2.6.0

Okay, I'm stumped - upgrade to 2.6.0 with either make-kpkg or traditional compile results in the ipppd returning "can't locate isdnctrl in /dev/isdnctrl or device/isdn/isdnctrl - no such device" the HiSax driver is in the kernel and I have the correct version of module-init-tools: I can insert and remove modules.
Boot back with a 2.4 series kernel and all is well with isdn.
Am I doomed to 2.4 forever?  Or is there something I can do?

Any suggestions welcome and much appreciated...