Re: Sarge not booting kernel used in links

On Mon, 2003-12-22 at 07:35, Jim Seymour wrote:
> I never touched lilo.conf.  Also lilo only has an entry: Linux.  Was
> make-kpkg or dpkg supposed to run lilo?  After banging my head for
> awhile I ran lilo and rebooted.  It then rebooted to the new kernel.
> Do we have a possible bug in one of those programs or need a change in
> Debian Reference documentation to make sure lilo is run manually?

Normally dpkg -i'ing a kernel-image deb will ask you a few questions on
kernel install-related issues (like creating a bootdisk, replacing old
modules and adding entries to lilo.conf).
AFAIR it says something on the lines of "do you want to install a boot
block using the current lilo.conf?". You should say yes to that (or just
press enter). If you did so and didn't get your boot block updated then
yes i guess there's a nasty bug somewhere.
Maybe you should read the debian kernel tutorial on
newbiedoc.sourceforge.net (great one). I've written one myself but it's
in spanish :)

--
Gonzalo Sainz-Trápaga (GomoX)
GnuPG Fingerprint: A0AF 3BBF EB93 7EFE 6628  C5A5 F073 9442 6DE4 A497