Re: purpose of debian-testing (was: Re: secure apt)

On Sat, Oct 22, 2005 at 02:27:54PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 22, 2005 at 04:41:28PM -0400, Justin Pryzby wrote:
>
> > > Please direct questions of this sort to debian-user; debian-testing
> > > is not intended to be a general support forum for testing.
> > Although you wouldn't know it from the description:
>
> >   http://lists.debian.org/users.html:
> >     * debian-testing: Users testing Debian
>
> > I persued a change of this name once, but I guess it never happened.
> > Someone else wants a turn?
>
> What would you change it to?  I can't think of any names that would work
> better than the current one.  FWIW, the long description of the list was
> already changed to alleviate confusion, but I guess many users don't look at
> the long description.
I meant a change of the description.  I probably don't know what its
intended use is, either, so I'm not going to propose one..  My current
understanding is that its for testing related to the upcoming release
(presently, "etch"), but not for problems with an individual package.
So, something to the effect of "testing for the next release", I
guess.

--
Clear skies,
Justin