Re: Gnome3 fallback mode - fallback?

Hi,

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 05:48:55PM +0200, David wrote:
> Some questions regarding the GNOME of Debian testing, that is Gnome3:
>
> in normal, instead of fallback mode,
>
> the application windows no longer have a resize and a minimize button.
>
> Is that intended?

Yes, this is the default. However, the GNOME Tweak Tool (gnome-tweak-tool
package) is your friend, you can add whatever button you like back.

> The "Orte" (engl. "places"?) link in the upper left (adjacent to
> "Applications") is gone.
>
> Is that intended?

Yes. You can find all of the stuff in the Overview mode (top-left hot
corner, or hit windows key) + quick search. However, if you really can't
live without it, you can add it back via a GNOME Shell extension
(gnome-shell-extensions package).

> Many programs, for example gnome-screenshot (after hitting Print or
> Alt-Print) show less possibilities, for example the possibility to
> do a screenshot some seconds later, is gone.
>
> Is that intended?

You mean you see the old functionality while in Fallback mode? That
doesn't seem right. It should be the same both in GNOME Shell sessions and
GNOME classic sessions.

> Is there, instead of the old gnome-screenshot, a more primitive
> program running? Or is it the same program, running a more primitive
> mode?

AFAIK, there are no "modes" for gnome-screenshot. Once you upgrade, you'll
get what you're seeing in any mode. I have no smart-ass solutions for you
on this one; gnome-tweak-tool won't help. :)

If you need more advanced screenshot capturing options, I advise you to
use The GIMP → File → Create → Screenshot option, which has lots of bells
and whistles.

> My resumé: The Gnome3 "fallback" mode is wonderful, it is not a
> fallback mode at all. It has much more possibilities, almost as much
> as the old (Gnome2). Therefore,
>
> *It should be called professional mode* - while the normal mode is
> ok when you want a primitive, more iPad or Cell-phone like UI.

We don't plan to drop GNOME classic as long as it is reasonably easy for
us to maintain it. We don't know how long it'll be before upstream
officially drops support for it, though.

> How can I force that mode? At present time I execute - as root: dpkg
> --force-all --purge gnome-session
>
> followed by: /etc/init.d/gdm3 restart

In GDM, select "GNOME classic" in the Session dropdown after selecting
your user. It should use that one automatically the next time you use it.

For a system-wide change, use “update-alternatives --config
x-session-manager” to make the default X session point to fallback.

Jordi
jordi@sindominio.net     jordi@debian.org     http://www.sindominio.net/