Re: Take over of texinfo/info packages

Hi, Norbert.

On Oct 03 2005, Norbert Preining wrote:
> On Mon, 03 Okt 2005, Rogério Brito wrote:
> > If you actually make a new package (and I see that you'll do), please
> > don't call it -1 like you did with cm-super and cm-super-x11. Please,
> > keep the annotations on the changelog, even if they were not submitted
> > to the Debian system.
>
> Frank, any comments on this? What would you prefer? I am really free
> in this and wouldn't mind having a -7 or -1.

I don't know what Frank prefers, but I see that this is quite common
with other Debian Developers: more so with those that are employed to
work on Ubuntu: you frequently see the changelogs of their packages
containing breezy as the distribution (which, as you may know, is not
the codename of any Debian distribution so far).

I think that this way of doing things keeps people informed and prevents
the problems that you would have to have if you change the version
numbers too much.

Yes, I admittedly don't like epochs in package version numbers. :-)

> In fact it was my failure, I should have had version -0.1, -0.2 etc in
> the beginning, but this I learned only just recently. In fact, at this
> time I didn't even think about taking over the package, and I believed
> that was only for my own fun :-{

No problems, as nothing was submitted to the Debian archives. But that's
something to keep in mind when packaging things. You may, after all,
doing some QA service with your package, if it eventually happens to be
uploaded to the Debian repository. :-)

Thank you very much for your work, Rogério Brito.

Homepage on freshmeat:  http://freshmeat.net/projects/algorithms/