Re: Font packages for TeX

Ralf Stubner <ralf.stubner@physik.uni-erlangen.de> wrote:

> In order to be usable for teTeX/TeX Live, a font package has to call
>
> update-updmap
> mktexlsr [<TEXMFSYSVAR> <TEXMFMAIN>]
> updmap-sys
>
> update-updamp is in tex-common which the font package depends on. That
> should be fine.
>
> mktexlsr and updmap-sys are in tetex-bin/texlive-basicbin. Since the
> font package does not depend on them, it might happen that the font
> package is configured when tetex-bin/texlive-basicbin is unpacked but
> not configured yet. It might also happen, that the font package is
> configured without tetex-bin/texlive-basicbin being present at all.
> Right?

ACK.

> So the main question for me is whether or not calling mktexlsr and
> updmap-sys with an unconfigured tetex-bin/texlive-basicbin can cause any
> harm.

mktexlsr:  No.
updmap-sys:  I don't think so, although it takes unnecessary time.

> If 'yes', one needs to find out the tetex-bin/texlive-basicbin is
> actually configured. How could one do that?

I don't think there's a good solution to this.  Calling dpkg -l while
"dpkg install <long_list> is running might be a bad idea, if it works at
all.  Some hack like "tetex-bin and texlive-basicbin agree to touch
/var/lib/tex-common/bin_is_configured as their last postinst action"
looks extremely ugly to me.

So unless there is a general need for this (i.e. not
TeX-package-specific), and we get a dpkg interface for it,  I fear we
must live with the "takes unnecessary time".

> If 'no', one could either use something like
>
> mktexlsr [<TEXMFSYSVAR> <TEXMFMAIN>] || true
> updmap-sys || true
>
> or
>
> if which mktexlsr >/dev/null 2>&1  && which updmap-sds >/dev/null 2>&1; then
>    mktexlsr [<TEXMFSYSVAR> <TEXMFMAIN>]
>    updmap-sys
> else
>    echo "No TeX-System present."
> fi
>
> I am not sure about the relative merits of the two approaches.

The first is missing the stderr redirections, otherwise users will be
confused.  The second has the additional merit of not throwing away
stderr.

> In addition, I find it interesting that dh_installxfonts adds
>
> if which update-fonts-dir >/dev/null 2>&1; then
>         update-fonts-scale Type1;update-fonts-dir Type1
> fi
>
> *and* a Depends on xutils. Is this overkill or is there something in the
> policy demanding this?

I think this is overkill.

> BTW, I am not sure how easy it would be to move mktexlsr and updmap to
> tex-common. After all, both these programs use kpsewhich (and friends).

You are right - we can't do this (unless there's a separate libkpse-bin
providing the kpse* executables)

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster