RE: IP forwarding

> I know.  But I'm saying it doesn't even work with that.
oh... O.K.

> I know.  If you noticed, after the cat command was listed "1"
> -- it was
> already enabled.
Duh...I was looking at a followup message that didn't display that. Sorry.
Maybe not enough coffee. :)

Could you please state kernel version and if your running slink vs. potato?
Just to see everything, could you attach your /proc/net/ip_fwchains from
when you have everything up? Do you see anything in /var/log/messages like:

May 16 11:19:37 (your machine) kernel: Packet log: input DENY (or REJECT)
ppp0 etc...?

You would need logging turned on in your kernel to see those. You sound like
you know what you should be doing. The error then must be really obvious
(hiding in plain sight) or really buried. Your really going to have to give
everyone more info so they can help. Don't get frustrated with those trying
to help, they start simple then rack their cranial cavities.

How are you starting forwarding, setting up ipchains? Which options did you
turn on in the kernel? Do you get out (i.e. Browsing works) other than
pinging?