Re: Where is gcc in unstable?

"Diethelm Guallar, Gonzalo" <Gonzalo.Diethelm@sonda.com> wrote:
>I have been keeping my system updated to unstable,
>and for a few weeks dselect is showing several
>suspicious obsolete packages:
>
>Section  Package        Version
>=======  =============  ========
>devel    g++            2.95.2-9
>devel    gcc            2.95.2-9
>base     libstdc++2.1   2.95.2-9
>base     libreadlineg   2.1-12
>
>I had noticed libreadlineg there for even longer,
>and was never able to delete it (because it marked
>for deletion lots of packages that I wanted), but
>it didn't really bother me that much.

That's probably libreadlineg2 - it'll be too wide for the column in
dselect. It *is* in the oldlibs section, but a lot of packages still
depend on it.

>Now, gcc and g++, that's another story. How can they
>be marked as obsolete? What's more intriguing, I have
>been navigating around www.debian.org, and was able
>to find gcc (egcc) for the stable distribution, but
>there was no such package for unstable! What gives?
>I find it hard to believe gcc is disappearing from
>unstable? Any hints?

I'm told this was caused by the last upload of gcc et al being to the
frozen distribution only; there's a bug somewhere which means that such
uploads end up deleting the package from unstable altogether. People who
need the package can get it from potato, I suppose, and at the moment a
lot of the developers are concentrating on getting that distribution out
the door before worrying about unstable.

With any luck this'll be fixed either at the next release of gcc or when
the gcc people have some time free from potato.

>Please replay by e-mail as well as to the list. Thanks,

Cc'd.