Re: Debian vs Red Hat??? I need info.

On Tue, May 16, 2000 at 11:24:50PM -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:
> On Tue, May 16, 2000 at 08:44:38PM -0700, David Lynn wrote:
> > I agree - dpkg and apt are great compared to rpm's.  However, that's all
> > assuming that there are debian packages out there that are up to date
> > (which they're generally not).  But this seems to be the only major
> > drawback I've found to Debian.
>
>     I don't find this to be true.  If you need the latest bleeding edge
> program, go with the unstable tree which has historically proven to be more
> stable than Red Hat Releases.

I can not comment on the stability, but it is not always the case that
unstable has the "latest bleeding edge" programs.  I am using wxpython
(or python-wxwin in Debian language) and while version 2.1.15 has been
in used by a lot developers for a few weeks, the unstable version
of Debian is still 2.1.11.  In the past I had to install rpm-packages
to get my hands on newer versions.

I am not blaming the Debian developer. He has helped me in the past to
try and eliminate some problems with the package.  I know that Debian
development comes from volunteers and if I had some more time and
knowledge on this subject I would like to help with the development.

Johann.
--
J.H. Spies, Hugenotestraat 29, Posbus 80, Franschhoek, 7690, South Africa
Tel/Faks 021-876-2337 Sel/Cell 082 898 1528(Johann) 082 255 2388(Hester)