Re: Debian vs Red Hat??? I need info.

On Wed, May 17, 2000 at 08:44:15AM +0200, Johann Spies wrote:
> >     I don't find this to be true.  If you need the latest bleeding edge
> > program, go with the unstable tree which has historically proven to be more
> > stable than Red Hat Releases.

> (or python-wxwin in Debian language) and while version 2.1.15 has been
> in used by a lot developers for a few weeks, the unstable version
> of Debian is still 2.1.11.  In the past I had to install rpm-packages
> to get my hands on newer versions.

    Noe my use of the word "need" instead of the word "want."  Most people who
run Linux want the latest version for pretty much no other reason than the
bragging rights.  OTOH, most people who run linux rarely /need/ the latest
version.  The only time I've personally seen someone /need/ the latest version
of a program where the matter of a few weeks was not acceptable was when the
FS code in FreeBSD had a massive bug in it that caused the kernel to panic on
an ISP's main FTP server.  They /needed/ the latest snapshot to see if it
fixed their problem.