My Debian box is unstable- Why?

Now that I've got your attention, here's the problem
I'm having. Whenever I attempt to run x11amp more than
once in a single session, it refuses to reopen a
second instance of the application. I have also seen
it die when opening another application concurrently.
When I try to restart then run x11amp from the command
line, I get at least 15 repetitions of the following
error:

Unable to open the audio device
Unable to reset audio device

As I write this my load monitor is completely in the
red and top is telling me that Netscape is using 98%
of my cpu.

I'm running Debian (potato)using a 2.0.36 kernel on a
standalone (Pentium Pro) workstation with 40mb of RAM.

Does anybody know what's going on here? Any
suggestions as to where to look?