Re: My Debian box is unstable- Why?

> Whenever I attempt to run x11amp more than
> once in a single session, it refuses to reopen a
> second instance of the application.
many devices (including the audio devices) can be opened only once at a
time. so the second x11amp hangs waiting for the audio device to free up.

> I have also seen it die when opening another application concurrently.
this kind of an unprecise problem description ...
however - x11amp is quite old. try xmms. it's the same, but under a new
name.

> When I try to restart then run x11amp from the command
> line, I get at least 15 repetitions of the following
> error:
>
> Unable to open the audio device
> Unable to reset audio device

probably resulting from the first point ...

> As I write this my load monitor is completely in the
> red and top is telling me that Netscape is using 98%
> of my cpu.

netscape? that's nothing new ...
kill - restart - feel fine. *g*

If Windows is the answer, I want the problems back!