Re: Maxima on debian

    >> From: karlheg@bittersweet.inetarena.com (Karl M. Hegbloom)
    >> Date: 17 May 2000 22:25:14 -0700
    >>

    >> I believe there is a Maxima package now, either in Woody or in the
    >> works.  I have one installed that I grabbed out of `incoming' one
    >> day...

    Boris> Interesting. Does it work well? Here are some problems with the Maxima
    Boris> I compiled. I wrote a letter to Schetler, but he did not respond :(((

 It works pretty well, so far.  I've just signed up for math 112, so
 have not learned the mathematics that I'll eventually need Maxima for
 yet.

    Boris> 2. Is it possible to enable readline in gcl and maxima? It would be
    Boris>    great to use arrows to edit the command line and use history.

 Why not just run it under XEmacs or GNU Emacs?  I've updated the
 maxima-mode.el that ships with Maxima.  You can have a copy if you
 like.  Mail me for CVS instructions.

 Other interesting things like it are: jacal and TeXmacs.  TeXmacs is
 a WYSIWYG editor for TeX that's going to be an interface to computer
 algebra systems.  It has Guile embedded as a scripting language.
 Right now it's using a GUI toolkit written by it's author, but he
 says that he plans to eventually make it use Guile-GTK instead.

 It would be interesting to tie that to jacal (or something like it
 and Maxima, but better, written with Guile's new Goops object system)
 and a reinterfaced GeomView.

--
Those who do not study Lisp are doomed to reimplement it - Poorly.
A few months in the laboratory often saves several hours at the library.

mailto:karlheg@debian.org (Karl M. Hegbloom)