troff macro documentation?

I have been having some problems with the format of a man page I am
working on (seesat5, coming to theaters soon) and although I have worked
out most of the problems by trial and error (with the help of the man
manpage source) I still haven't fixed everything. What I can't seem to
locate, is documentation on the man and tbl macro sets. I would love to
RTFM if I could only find it.
My outstanding problem at the moment is the using .LP to produce a new
paragraph also seems to revert to the previous margins instead of keeping
the margins of the last paragraph.
Any pointers will be greatfully appreciated.

TIA,

Dwarf