Re: Can't compile 1.3.87 with libc5-dev

On Tue, 26 Mar 1996, David L. Johnson wrote:

> Dale Scheetz wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 26 Mar 1996, Stoyan Kenderov wrote:
> >
> > > Yesterday I tried to compile the 1.3.87 kernel and run into trouble
> > > with the sound driver...
> > >
> > > I use debian pre 1.1 with gcc-2.7-2 and libc-5.2.18-1 and
> > > libc5-dev-5.2.18-1.
> > >
> > > The errors I get when compilation reaches the sound driver are
> > > inconsistencies between
> > > /usr/include/gnu/types.h   and
> > > /usr/include/linux/types.h
> > >
> > > My question is - should I replace the lib5-dev- stuff with the latest
> > > revision or should I replace the new voxware-3.5.1 with the older one
> > > that did compile?
> > >
> > Here is the answer from Linux-kernel:
> >
> > I just replaced /usr/include/gnu/types.h with a symbolic link
> > pointing at /usr/include/linux/types.h.   All is well again here.
> >
> I was going to suggest that, but checked my machine first.  They are not the
> same file.

Which is why this is a fix. The gnu/types.h is no longer comaptible with
the kernel, while linux/types.h is.

 I wonder if this will cause more problems elsewhere.  Or, maybe if
> I tried to compile this module I might get the same error.  Is this an
> "official" fix?

I don't know about "official". It was reported on the linux-kernel
mail list, and verified to work by the respondent. If it doesn't work for
you (I'll be surprised) you can always remove the link and look for
another solution.

Luck,

Dwarf