kernel 1.3.xx compile problems.. (part deux)

hello again,

 well after a couple of bad signal 11s, and rerunning make zImage, i
got a working kernel(1.3.77). Now i went ahead and recompiled the kernel
with more options (cdrom support, network support, etc), and it seemed
somewhat stable (only one signal 11 error).

 The system is actually about 4 yrs old, (1991 bios). It was a 386, in
which i upgraded the chip to a 486. Might be the memory (blue screen 'bad
memory' in windowze ;)  ).

 How come the error is popping out now with the 1.3.xx kernel, instead of
the 1.2.xx kernels?? I have recompiled 1.2.xx many a time using gcc 2.6.3
with no problems.

 Could this the be gcc related, as in different versions?? kernel related??
I'm not doubting it might be hardware related (the though of replacing
simms doesn't appeal to me though), but how come i'm not getting these
errors in a stable kernel (1.2.xx), along with a stable gcc 2.6.3??

Thanks again for all responses...
-Frank