Re: Mosaic on debian

On Wed, 27 Mar 1996, ' ALLAN W. BART wrote:

> well next week I should have a really good 486 system with 8mb, is it
> possible to run mosaic in X with that amount of ram and have it really
> run. I would also loike to know if it is a really big pain to configure?

I'm currently running Netscape v. 2 on my 486/66 with 8MB RAM.  Because
netscape's is a statically linked executable, 4MB in size, it takes quite
a long time starting up (making room in memory for such a beast is not an
easy task to accomplish, even for Linux :-) and renders the machine a
little bit slow when run together with memory hungry applications like
emacs.  Besides that, it works pretty fine, doing a very good job with
html rendering and Java execution.

I haven't tried Mosaic, but given that you can get good dynamically linked
executables (or so y suppose) I think it should perform much better than
Netscape.

Hope this helps,

M. S.
Martin A. Soto J.                           Profesor
Departamento de Ingenieria de Sistemas y Computacion
Universidad de los Andes      masoto@uniandes.edu.co