smail problems

I installed smail from the stable tree, and the test to the
linux-counter worked. However the machine refused to receive mail. The
problem is that smail is not installed as a daemon, and the smtpd line
in inetd.conf is commented out, and remains so, so that there's
nothing to take care of the message.

Since smail is intended as a replacement of sendmail, perhaps it
should be installed in the same way, as a daemon. If the machine
receives many msgs. a day this is better than invoking smtpd from
inted. This is how I set my machine up now.

Carlos