Re: Installation help

On Sat, 30 Mar 1996, T. Moore wrote:

> OK.. I didnt want to resort to filling up this mailing list but I am
> frustrated.  The problem is that I have the entire Debian installation
> software on a DOS partition, from which I want to install from.  When I
> boot up with the boot and root disks, I am not allowed to mount the
> msdos drive, which is /dev/hdc1.  I am installing to a logical partition
> on /dev/hda7 which is linux-ready to go.  I tried going to the shell,
> and mounting it, which worked, but I have no ls or cp command to view
> it.  After I mounted it, I tried to install but it would only let me
> install from CDrom or floppy, no option for hard drive.  I even
> formatted another partition to linux, in the hopes that I could copy the
> files from the MSDOS drive to the linux drive to install, but alas, no
> "cp" command in the boot shell.  ARgh.. please help me.. Thanks

You must install the base system from either CD or floppy. Find the three
base disks on the dos partition. Use rawrite2 to copy them to three
floppies. Use the boot/root disks to install them and make a boot floppy.
After booting up into your new minimal linux system you can continue the
rest of the installation from the HD. Mount your dos partition with:

mount -t msdos /dev/hdc1 /mnt

Now you may either use dselect to manage the rest of the installation,
telling it where the package file is located on the dos partition
(/mnt/../../debian/binary), or you can use dpkg and install packages one
at a time, as you need to. The first method will give you a "complete"
system in one fell swoop. The second method will let you control what
packages come into the system and learn the interdependencies of the
various packages. Note: you can control what packages dselect loads or
unloads from your system. For some this is a complex and daunting task
when presented all at once and the results are not always what some expect.
As you get down the line with the installation, you can always contact
this list for more information.
BTW, after you have installed the base disks, I highly recommend that,
netstd, netbase, and ppp, be the next packages installed. With these
packages installed you can make a ppp connection to your provider and be
on the net.
I also highly recommend loadlin as the multi-os boot method. Set up
config.sys with a menu selection (say one entry for DOS and one for
Linux) method, set up autoexec.bat to execute loadlin for the Linux path
and normal dos setup for the DOS path of the menu. This avoids the need
of keeping a good bootable floppy around (I can't get one diskette to
survive a trip into town, so I carry at least two duplicates).

Good Luck,

Dwarf