pppd stops working for no apparent reason?

For no reason I can determine, pppd has stopped working on my system with the
following error message:

Sorry - this system lacks PPP kernel support

The ppp module is loaded:

Module:        #pages:  Used by:
ppp                5
slhc               2    [ppp]

and the kernel says PPP is registered:

CSLIP: code copyright 1989 Regents of the University of California
PPP: version 2.2.0 (dynamic channel allocation)
PPP Dynamic channel allocation code copyright 1995 Caldera, Inc.
PPP line discipline registered.

My last reboot was on March 8th, and I haven't updated any of my system since
then. I'm running debian 0.93R6. I even recompiled the kernel and modules, and
I still get the error.

The only thing that has changed that I can figure out is that it's now April,
and not March! There isn't an april fools day joke built-in to the ppp stuff,
is there?

Any ideas?

--
Scott Barker
Linux Consultant

[ I try to reply to all e-mail within 5 days. If you don't  ]
[ get a response by then, I probably didn't get your e-mail ]
[ (we have a sometimes sporadic connection to the internet) ]

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly."
   - Robert F. Kennedy