Re: Compiling gcc

> From: Michael Collins <mcollins@ballistic.com>
>
> After  'configure' and 'make', I have several executable files in the
> gcc-2.X.XX directory.
> I find xgcc, cc1, cpp, and a few others, But  none of these seem to work when I
> place them in the /usr/bin directory where the previous gcc file was located.
>
> What am I missing?

I used

./configure
make LANGUAGES=c
make stage1
make CC="stage1/xgcc -Bstage1/" CFLAGS="-g -O"
make install

to install gcc.

There are parameters you may want to give to ./configure to specify where you
want the files (the default is /usr/local) but I don't find appropriate to put
executables in /usr/bin when they are not handled by dpkg: if you do you
invalidate its database, and that may cause you troubles.

> What should I be reading to instruct me on this stage of the update of gcc?

There should be a 'INSTALL' file explaining this and giving pointers to
other documentations.