a video problem

Hello! everybody
 My problem is the following:

I bought a new PC, with the Atlantis
Intel motherboard. This board has a built in video controller called

			ATI - 264CT PCI graphic controler

that it is reported in the pc's manual. It is also recognized by an ATI
utility program with the same name. Also works with Win95 with the
"autodetect" default drivers, where it is selected the driver:

			ATI Graphics Pro Turbo

However, when I run Win95 with the maximum resolution appears strange
things in the monitor. I solved this, installing the newer driver I have
in a floppy disk, so Win95 works now with

			ATI Graphics Pro Turbo PCI "enhanced"
With these driver all works perfect.

The problem begins now. When I try to install X11 in my linux partition, I
found that the only configuration that works is using the VGA driver with
the 640x480 resolution with a dot clock around 25. Basically, when I do X
-probeonly, the X11 server only detect 4 clock diferents from 0: two 20's
and two 10's more less :
		22 23 0 0 0 0 0 0
		0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
		10 11 0 0 0 0 0 0
                0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

It seems, when I run X11_mach64 server it can't probe my clocks or detect
the build in video. More
interesting is the following: I install two diferent slackware
distributions the number 2.2 and the 3.0 and found that the SuperProbe
program reports this two diferent answers:

SuperProbe from slackware 2.2 distribution
Chipset ATI 88800
Memory 2048 (correct, I have 2048 DRAM installed)
RAMDAC ATI 68830 15/16 Hicolor DAC 6 bit mode
Coprocessor ATI Mach64 2048 Kbytes

while in the SuperProbe from slackware 3.0 distribution
first Video: Super-VGA
Chipset ATI (unknow)
Signature data : 5b
Memory 0 Kb
RAMDAC Generic 8-bit pseudo Color DAC
(with 6-bit wide lookup table or 6 - bit mode)
Coprocessor Chipset Ati Mach 64 Memory 2048 bytes

I try many other alternatives but I couldn't install the Mach64 X server.
For example I think that the problem could be from PCI motheboard
because at the begining using linux 1.2.3 or 1.2.13 I got a message error
when trying to probe the PCI. Well, I upgrade to the version 1.3.50 and that
problem disapeared but X problem if there.

I think that the solution is install the X server forcing some parameter
with the Options "override_bios", "no_bios_clocks" (introducing the
correct clocks) and see if MemBase parameter is ok. I don't have that
information. My new machine at home is a Pentium with 166 Mhz, Atlantis
intel motherboard,
PCI with audio and "video" Ati Mach 64 incorpored and 16 Mb of RAM
I read the HOWto for X86 and the README.Mach64 by I didn't find a solution

I also try the VGAWONDER driver included in
XF86_SVGA server, but isn't
work (upon the two diferent distributions) It says that it detect the ATI
64 chip but it is not able to start on the WONDER VGA option. I don't
know what can I do? It is possible that I missed something, but I have
near a mount with this problem at home. Also, Mr. Marc Le France said me to
tried with the X version 3.12B but didn't work.

I installed sucessfully
slackware 2 and now I have debian 0.93R6 distribution over an endeavor intel
motherboard
and S3-964 video card in my office without this problems. Also I installed
without
problems the linux system with the vga X server in my old 486 machine at
home. However, my new pentium with the ATI Mach built in card doesn't work

I need some help :-(

-avelino

        *     Francisco A. da Silva F.                                  *
        *     LSRE- Laboratory of Separation and Reaction Engineering   *
        *     Department of Chemical Engineering                        *
        *     Faculdade de Engenharia, Universidade do Porto            *
        *     Rua Dos Bragas- 4099 Porto Codex, Porto (Portugal)        *
        *     Phone (351)-2-204 1646                                    *
        *     FAX   (351)-2-204 1674                                    *