pppd

I'm having a hell of a time with my ppp connection, and maybe somebody
can help me out here. Everything works fine with a Slackware system I
installed on a spare partition to try and track down this problem.
However when I boot with my debian system (0.93R6) the ppp link is
established, but behaves very oddly. For example, when telneting to my
machine, you get a login: prompt, and a password: prompt, and then
sometimes a Last Login line, and then it locks. If you check ps, there is
a shell being run for the user telneting in, but the telnet from the
outside never gets anything past the last login line. When I telnet out
to chess.lm.com, anytime I type a line over around a full line or so, the
connection locks up. I still receive data coming from the chess server,
such as updates to games I am observing, public messages, etc..., but
nothing I type ever gets to the server. If I refrain from typing long
lines, I can be on for hours without problem. When ftping, I can download
fine, and have downloaded several large files no problem, but when
uploading to an account elsewhere, ncftp immediately jumps to 100%
completed, does NOT give me back a prompt, and only a zero length file
shows up on the other end.

This is the script I connect with:

pppd connect 'redial' /dev/modem 38400 lock debug crtscts defaultroute

and redial is just a script to repeatedly call chat until connected.

netstat -nr shows:

Kernel routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref Use    Iface
127.0.0.1       0.0.0.0         255.255.255.255 UH    0      0        0 lo
204.248.24.12   0.0.0.0         255.255.255.255 UH    0      0        0 ppp0
0.0.0.0         204.248.24.12   0.0.0.0         UG    0      0     4519 ppp0

Since I knew that it works with the Slackware installation, I booted my
debian system with the kernel from my Slackware installation, and used
the pppd from it, and got exactly the same results. I tried adding the
default route manuallly instead of letting pppd do it. Frankly, I just
don't understand the problem at all, and I'm hoping somebody can help me.
I'm using a static IP if it matters, and my /etc files are set up
accordingly for my IP address, unless I've missed one.

							Shawn Asmussen