Broken virtual console

After a telnet session to my ISP in which I had to set TERM=vt100 to get
pine to work (linux termtype unrecognized) I returned from the session
only to find that the console was broken. When the cursor reaches the
bottom of the screen no scrolling occurs, so successive lines appear on
top of each other. When I try to use pine the controled lines cause
scrolling when it is not desired.
I have tried resetting the term type to linux, logging out, killing bash
from root, and none have had any effect.
Short of rebooting the system (something I will be doing in a while
anyway) is there any way to recover from this behavior. I had problems in
ancient times with minicom on these same screen control issues and never
resolved it there.

TIA,

Dwarf