Re: "Official CDs"

Bruce> A number of Linux distributions that aren't keeping up with
Bruce> Debian or Red Hat would be well-advised to use 1.1 as a basis
Bruce> for their next release.

> That means they have to plan their releases around debian.  However,
> debian has been quite slow when it comes to development.

Yes. One of my goals as new project leader is to deal with that problem.
I won't brag about what I haven't done yet. Let's see if the situation is
better in a few months.

> Moreover, each distribution has its `personality'.  Asking distribution
> maintainers to adopt debian as the `base' doesn't sound too appealing,
> considering that they have invested large amount of time in their own
> systems.

I suspect that the "personality" of a distribution is connected to a
relatively few programs. The purpose of basing a distribution on Debian
would be to free the maintainer from having to deal with all of the mundane
programs so that they could concentrate _exclusively_ on the ones that
add value to their systems. For example, I am creating a distribution
called "Linux for Hams" for use by radio amateurs. Because I am using
Debian, I can concentrate on the ham radio programs that provide the
"personality" of my distribution, and trust that Debian provides all of
the basic stuff of a Linux system.

	Thanks

	Bruce
--
Pixar Animation Studios: Reality is not our business.
Pixar's "Toy Story" $184.5M domestic, $66M overseas and counting.