Re: INN: who is working on it?

On Sat, 6 Apr 1996, Karsten Meyer wrote:

> Hello,
>
>     is there somebody who maintain a debian INN package or does somebody
>     plan to do so ?
>     I'm interested to discuss my ideas of the directory layout and would
>     like to ask about the 'shared writable mapping' messages.

Maybe this is why no-one should work on a Debian INN package? How many
different INN filesystem layouts have you seen? The config.data for Linux
doesn't exactly have sensible pathnames (IIRC) so when installing it for
myself, I just did it all to my likings... I'm sure many other
news-administrators will do the same themselves.

At work, I'm the news guru and I have to maintain 5 machines running INN,
a mixture of BSDI and FreeBSD - unfortunately we started with the
supplied package for BSDI so when we brought up the FreeBSD engines it
was best to re-configure it to look like the BSDI and when installing it
on my linux machine at home, I did the same thing.

What we need is a package that is NOT pre-compiled, but a package that
will put the sources in a sensible place with an almost fully working
config.data file so that the user just has to edit their pathnames into
it & hit the go key.

Hell, all we need is 5/6 of the config.data file. It's easy enough to get
& install the latest INN sources from David Barrs archive. How much
hand-holding do we really need and who in their right minds will install
INN unless they really know what they are doing with it?

No, don't answer that last question. Really.

Gordon
--
Gordon Henderson					gordon@vbc.net
VBCnet GB Ltd					http://www.uk.vbc.net/