Re: mke2fs and mount problem

You make a very good point here. I had miss-remembered the default for
mount as being ext2, when in fact it is minix.
I'm not sure that this adequately explains why mount hangs (although next
time I'll know to supply the file system type).
Two questions: Why is minix the default file system for mount? Why does
mount hang when trying to mount an ext2 file system as minix?

On Tue, 9 Apr 1996, Stoyan Kenderov wrote:

> Hi Dale,
>
> Dale Scheetz wrote:
> >
> > I used mke2fs to reformat one of my partitions. Everything seemed to go
> > ok, but when the file system creation was complete, and I tried to mount
> > the new file system, mount hung. I could not kill it and eventually had
> > to reboot. Much to my surprise, upon rebooting I discovered that, since
> > it was still in fstab, the system mounted this drive at boot up with no
> > problems. Since that time I have reformated the drive once more, with the
> > same results. Mount immediately after creation fails with a lockup. After
> > reboot the device mounts fine. Any ideas what's going on?
> > This is a development ELF system, running 1.3.75/80 kernels (I swap back
> > an forth pretty regularly, although this was done with .75)
> >
> > ld.so           1.7.14-2
> > libc53          5.2.18-2
> > ncurses3.0      1.9.8a-4
> > mount           2.5-5
> >

> I experienced pretty the same weirdness when mounting some filesystem
> without explicitly stating their type.
>
>    mount /dev/sdaXX /mnt
>
> makes the mount command hang. (I don't have the time now to do an
> strace and find out why) I have never had any problems mounting
> with the -t option e.g.
>
>    mount -t ext2 /dev/sdaXX /mnt
>
> If the filesystem you mount is described in the /etc/fstab, mount
> behaves just fine, because it uses the provided fs-type.
>

> That's just my 2 cents...
>

> regards,
>     Stoyan
> --
> Stoyan Kenderov                        /         phone: +49 721 9652 220
> NTG Netzwerk und Telematic GmbH      \/          fax:   +49 721 9652 210
> Vincenz-Priessnitz-Str. 3            /\ LINK     email:
> kenderov@xlink.net
> D-76131 Karlsruhe, Germany          /_______
> http://www.xlink.net/~kenderov
> Opinions stated herein are my own, not necessarily my employer's
>                       [finger me for my PGP public key]

Dwarf